Sunday, October 25, 2009

!..fears


I think it was last spring.. I went to my friend’s house because she invited me over for a dinner. She has very tiny kitchen and really small fridge.. but what really caught my eye was a little yellow sticky on it.. There was a handwritten quote! I read it out loud:
“What would you do if you had no fear?”
Suddenly my friend turned around from the kitchen counter and told me that it’s her favorite quote! She was trying to explain how meaningful it is.. that we should ask this question ourselves each and every day. It seemed like she could talk about it all night long.. so I just nodded my head couple of times and tried not to get deeper into this conversation… till last night!
What happened last night?
It was already 3 am when my friend texted me to go for a ride. (..there’s no inappropriate time when it comes to a ride! If one day I’ll make a list of my favorite things – driving a car at night will be at the top of it ) so without any doubts I said YES! .. my friend said we can go wherever I want. I surprised myself but I easily dealt with a freedom of choice.. we went to a little town that has the Island Castle. To our surprise there were only couple small lights to illuminate the path to the castle.. but the castle itself was very dark and spooky. My wayfarer sensed my fear and started telling me about the horror movie my friend had recently watched.. when we went closer to the castle I was full of fear.. I could barely move. I turned to my friend and said: “No way I’m going around the castle” .. my friend hugged me and asked “Why are you so frightful?”….. .
All the sudden I went back to the tiny kitchen from the last spring!
“What would you do if you had no fear?”
It’s not a physical fear she was talking about .. I realized that the fear I’m feeling right now is too easy to escape. I just needed a hug..
But that fear from the little yellow sticky is a fear of life.. not a fear of death!
It’s a fear of failure… it’s a fear of being heartbroken… it’s a fear of disappointment… it’s a fear of being different… it’s a fear of being YOURSELF!
You are afraid to fulfil your childhood dream to be the best hairdresser/makeup artist/baker/photographer because your fear to disappoint your family or be laughed at.. is stronger than your passion!
so you keep trying to built a successful career wearing a dress suit.
You are afraid to be open for love cause you think you know the end of all your love stories … heartbroken! Your fear to be heartbroken is stronger than your desire to be loved.
You put yourself in a situation when you don't need an army to protect you ... you don't let anyone close enough to hurt you in a first place..!

We didn’t walk around the castle.. it was really too spooky and you know what? I let myself to be a fearful child .. full of fears for ghosts and fairy-tale creatures .. rather than thinking about my fears of life!

SO what would you do if you had no fear?